Online presence encompasses the extent to which you come across as an empathetic person, form connections, and respond to students throughout your course. Every instructor defines his or her virtual self differently. It is useful to consider what information about yourself and your work you want to share, and why you think it is important. Then take time to think about the specifics.
Common ways to increase your instructor presence online include:
- Providing an intro video so that students can see and hear you.
- Posting still image(s) of yourself in the introductory materials.
- Linking or embedding social media sites or feeds like your Twitter name, LinkedIn profile, or Slack group.
- Sharing your website to help students understand who you are and what you do.
- Using video or audio to provide updates throughout the course.
- Providing prompt feedback on assignments (text, video, and audio).
Review the following information to help you be prepared for the experience of teaching online: